
My work... where to start? I am still working with the idea of good and evil, bad and good, manageable and unmanageable, depression and mania, dream and nightmare, or in other words the constant struggle for a balance. I am now working on similar panels to the ones I created before yet instead of translating those close to me into a positive dream-like scene, I am working on capturing my greatest fears attached to each person I am close to in an almost nightmarish scenario. I don't mean dark and scary I mean more in the sense of a real-life nightmare. For example the guitar tree was a visual representation of my boyfriend ( He is a musician) and he is also my tree or stability. The fear I attach to him is abandonment or more literally coming home to find my clothes on the lawn so I am translating that into outer panels. So like a web there will be a "string" attaching the nightmare to the dream and then a string attaching a third layer (reality) to the nightmare. Forming a form similar to those silly webs they made us make in English class in high school. When I am in the studio I am in a constant mode of busying my hands: sew, embroider, dye, paint, attach, sew, embroider, dye... It is a rhythm. I still look at my art as my own therapy and find it best to have a rough sketch in my head while rolling with the punches and solving problems as they come.
As for what is next... I am unsure I am interested in creating a video piece for my show to add some diversity yet I am not promising anything. I am also interested in revisiting my past or a simpler time, almost a remembrance of my time here at UD as I am going to be done school in about one month and some change. The above picture is from my sophomore year and it is interesting how much I have remained the same as well as changed. I also (in an attempt to lighten the mood and seriousness of this part of the semester, added a video that a friend and I made my sophomore year ENJOY!) My pieces come to me sporadically so I have faith that one weekend after a long week of work I will be driving down route 1 listening to a CD and smoking a cigarette and I will have a thought which will morph and branch into a new obsession or as we call it in the art world a piece.
Right now I am reading "Inhibitions, Symptoms and Anxiety" by Sigmund Freud. It is interesting but mainly about sex (which doesn't do much for the study I am working on) yet the idea of what causeses what: inhibitions cause anxiety or anxiety causing inhibitions is interesting. I'm not finished yet, but when I am done I will be sure to post my thoughts/opinions/notes. It relates to my work in the sense that I am studying what inhibits people, what anxiety they have and why we feel the need to hold ourselves back from certain aspects within our lives. Once again once I sort my thoughts out better I will add more.
Recipe: HAHAHAH I don't cook at all! I made lasagna about 4 days ago in my tiny towers apt kitchen and that was HORRIBLE. It was pretty tasty ( I just realized I worked a 9 hour shift at work today so I walked out to warm up a piece and realized its all gone... damn roommates). I suggest this for everyone.. because no matter how horrible your day is or how horrible the party you are throwing is going if you bust these puppies out things are sure to turn around.
Step 1: Drive to the store and pick up these ingredients
*1 box of Pillsbury Funfetti premium cake mix (about a dollar)
*A think of oil
*and a carton of eggs (your only gonna need 3)
* A can of Betty crocker rainbow chip icing... DO NOT GET PILLSBURY FUNFETTI ICING or your funfetti cake will be ruined!
When you get home follow the instructions on the box... let cake or cupcakes cool. Ice those bad boys and serve them up and let the fun fill your life and forget all your worries!
(Disclaimer... funfetti may even cure cancer at this point ;) )
If anyone would like to see what I am working on then feel free to stop by my studio and strike up a conversation!
Later Gators!

No comments:
Post a Comment